I was a guest editor of the New Special issue of Thesis Eleven on Empires and Nation-States with contributions from John Breuilly, Julian Go, John A. Hall, George Steinmetz, Sandra Halperin, Krishan Kumar, Peter Perdue and Partha Chatterjee.
I look forward to working with Dr. Lea David, a recipient of 2 year Marie Curie post-doctoral Fellowship with the project ‘Human Rights, Memorialization and Nationalism’ :
I will be one of the speakers at the 20th annual Divided Societies course which takes place in Dubrovnik, Croatia 7-14 May 2017. This year’s theme is ‘Memory Wars’
More information available:
Recent interview on war and violence I gave to the Croatian Sociological Journal ‘Diskrepancija’:
The following publications are already available on Amazon.uk and academia.edu:
- S. Malesevic (2017) The Rise of Organised Brutality: A Historical Sociology of Violence. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press (out in March): https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/cka/Rise-Organised-Brutality-Historical-Sociology-Violence/1107479495/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1486723630&sr=1-4&keywords=sinisa+malesevic
- S. Malesevic (2017) The Organisation of Military Violence in the 21st Century. Organization. (in press);
- S. Malesevic and S. Scriver (2017) War and Warlordism. In Bryan S. Turner (ed) Encyclopaedia of Social Theory. London: Routledge/Wiley (in press);
- ‘Nationalism and the Sociology of the Long Run’, Anthony D. Smith and the Future of Nationalism conference, London School of Economics, 28-29 March, 2017 (invited keynote speaker);
- ‘Below Ethnicity: Cultural Difference and Solidarity on the Frontline’; Boundary Matters: Interdisciplinary Engagements with Ethnic Difference conference, Princeton University, 21-22 April, 2017; (invited speaker);
- ‘From Sacrifice to Prestige: Serbian and Croatian National Memories in the
Longue Durée’ Divided Societies Seminar: Memory Wars. Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik, Croatia (8-14 May, 2017) (invited speaker);
- Political Violence, Ideology and Organisational Power, Oxford University, 18 May (invited speaker);
I will give a paper ‘Statehood and Civil War through Time’ at the workshop ‘Violence and Control in Civil Wars: Violent State Making’ at the Social Science Institute in Hamburg, 6-7 December 2016.